This training manual focuses on SMEs and is designed to discredit myths about HIV/AIDS; foster understanding of its multiple impacts on businesses, employees, and communities; and impart skills to create and implement workplace programs. It is hoped that businesses will use this manual to establish and implement a Roadmap for Action to stem the tide of HIV/AIDS in their workplace, and by extension, in their communities.
The intent of the IFC Against AIDS training program is to work with client companies to:
- Help participants learn about HIV/AIDS and to discredit myths about the disease.
- Raise awareness of the impact of HIV/AIDS on their businesses, their employees, and their communities by making the business case for action.
- Develop an understanding of the process that will create an HIV/AIDS program in the workplace.
- Develop a preliminary action plan for their own company and alert them to resources that are available to implement that plan.
As a result of the IFC Against AIDS training program, clients will:
- Build a basic knowledge of HIV/AIDS;
- Develop a better understanding of the costs of HIV/AIDS on business and the benefits of creating an HIV/AIDS program;
- Assess their own vulnerability and risk factors and begin to develop the case for action against HIV/AIDS for their own company;
- Develop a better understanding of the process for creating a program; and
- Begin to develop an HIV/AIDS program or Roadmap for Action for their own company and become familiar with NGOs and other possible service providers.