How we work with companies
WHAT WE DO
IFC’s Infrastructure and Natural Resources Advisory team works both with individual firms (mostly IFC investment clients) and at the sector level to increase benefits to local communities and mitigate social risks. Our work with oil and gas, mining, agribusiness, forestry and infrastructure industries enhances value creation with local communities and regional governments. Some of the channels through which companies convey benefits include their supply chains, tax/royalty payments, environmental stewardship and provision of infrastructure and/or social services.
HOW WE DO IT
IFC partners with companies working towards the IFC Performance Standards to share benefits by:
- Building company capacity to design and implement investments that benefit both the company and local society;
- Articulating a robust and quantitative business case for sustainability practices at asset level;
- Facilitating corporate-community-government engagement and communications;
- Encouraging participatory planning and monitoring for local development including water or revenue management;
- Increasing participation of local businesses in the company and industry supply chains; and
- Developing and disseminating good international practices, including on artisanal and small scale mining and gender.
To reinforce these practices, IFC also works with civil society, governments and other organizations.